Thursday, June 8, 2017

Dodging raindrops

Although rain was predicted for the afternoon, the morning was expected to be cloudy but dry. Of course recent rain meant wet ground underfoot, so although we didn't expect to fit in a walk today, we all wore our hiking boots. We headed to Glendurgan gardens, about 45 minutes north of here. These gardens were wilder than Trelissick, but beautiful in an untamed way. The flowers were shining with overnight raindrops. We admired a huge tulip tree here. It was planted around 1830 and is native to America, specifically the northeast. It was covered with blossoms, although we couldn't get as close as we did at Trelissick. 
Glendurgan has a huge maze, which we wanted to try. As we looped around to the path it started to rain. The rain soaked the leaves in the narrow corridors so it was a very wet experience. Because I was the only one with a raincoat, I stayed in. There was also a German mother and her two children in the maze with me. The kids found the way to the center with me, but the mother was blocked in a different alley. Finally she crawled through a small gap and reunited with her kids, who were with me.  I helped get them back together and led them all back out. 

E were all 

We were all soaked after our wet walk, so we recovered with a pot of tea. Peter had a slice of Bakewell Tart and I had a scone. Then we headed to Falmouth to visit Pendennis Castle.  This was a fort built by Henry VIII to protect the coast from Spanish or French invasion. It was designed for cannons with an octagonal tower housing guns trained on the water to attack enemy ships. It was where young Charles, Prince of Wales stayed briefly on his way to France during the English Civil War. It was interesting to see how different a castle had to be in a time when guns had replaced arrows and battering rams as the weapon of choice.  The view over the mouth of the Fal River was spectacular   The seas were still rough and only a couple sailboats crossed the bay. 

We were expecting rain all afternoon but when we left the castle the sun was shining. Bill had brought his book of hikes so we decided on a coasta walk not too far away. The trailhead was easy to find and the sun was brilliant as we started out. The path started through the woods, but soon opened onto a spectacular coastal trail overlooking breaking waves and white beaches. We were afraid that a squall would overtake us a couple times, but the rain never reached us and we arrived back at the car, tired and famished. We headed to Port Leven to the Ship Inn pub where Peter and I had delicious servings of moules frites (mussels and fries).  Tomorrow is our last day in Cornwall and the weather should be good. Time to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment